I recently ran across some pictures I took the last time I went home to NC. They aren’t the type most people take when they go on vacation, but who said I was normal?
Anyway, my husband and I took a ride to the family cemetary to see who we could find. Most of my relatives are buried at our home church so it wasn’t hard finding everyone. During this trip, I was able to take pictures of some head stones and the family church. I eventually want to document our church’s history. Here are some of the pictures I took:
If you plan to go for a ‘cemetary creep,” here are some things you need to keep in mind-
1. Get permission first. Since I was creeping around my family church everyone knew me, but once your searching leads you into unfamiliar areas make sure to call first. Also, if there are mourners at the cemetary, come back at another time.
2. Go during mid-day. We went later in the evening so we had to work quickly. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time because you never know who you may find.
3. Get your hands dirty. Don’t be afraid to make a great picture. Clear off any leaves or old flowers you find on they grave site. Remember, you’re documenting information for future generations. Don’t be shabby.
4. Bring extra batteries and memory card. It never hurts to be prepared.
5. Wear jeans and sneakers.This is not a time to be cute. We went to the cemetary the day after a rain so it was pretty muddy.
6. Never go alone. You never know what may happen in unfamiliar places. If no one is available, at least take a fully charged phone.
If any of you can think of any other tips, feel free to post them in your comments. Happy searching!